In the era dominated video content, a good app that helps create and edit videos is a must. After all, you want to update your stories on the go. Instagram is an excellent example of how videos are created and consumed. Periscope by Twitter and Vines are among a few top video platforms that have made a mark on the users.
65% senior marketing executives believe that visual assets are excellent for branding.
Customers are 4x times likely to watch videos as compared to reading a piece introducing the product.
If you are planning on creating a video editing mobile app, you need to first understand that it is a niche segment with several players vying for the top position. You will need to brainstorm a bit, understand what your app needs before building your offering.
The hardware requirements, the restrictions for the video app and the software inclusions need to be understood before you begin app development. Here we will take you through the basics of video editing mobile app development and the must-have features.
If you are building a native iOS app, then you should probably use AVFoundation. Apple’s flagship product iMovie has been developed using this framework. Animated title, adding sound clips and adding video filters are some of the best aspects of this framework.
The learning curve is low for the framework. Apart from iMovie, you also have Splice, another video editor created for iOS platform. iMovie is specifically for the iOS platform, and allows you to create and upload the videos to the iCloud or other iOS devices.
Splice is excellent for home video creation as it does not include all the necessary video editing functionality.
As against iOS, the Android platform does not serve its users with a noteworthy video editor framework. There are no native solutions available for this platform. You could go third party with your choice of video editing frameworks but, you won’t get the result you aimed for.
The main reason for the lack of quality solutions is the absence of native libraries and frameworks that are Google supported.
You have cross-platform apps such as Viva Video and AndroVid that helps you with the video creation and editing needs. However, if you want to develop such apps, you will need to know frameworks that are written in C and Assembly, which makes it necessary for the developers to know both the languages.
Video creation and editing is not just software specific; you will need to consider the hardware as well. The videos are shot well using iPhone’s camera. The iPhone 5 offered 120 FPS videos while the version 6 and 6Plus offered 240 FPS.
A few Android devices offer support for slow motion video creation such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy S4. The current Android devices come with limited functionality, which need to be included in your app as well. Your app cannot have features that the devices cannot support.
- Instagram allows users to shoot live videos and upload it as story or Insta post immediately. Your video editing app should include this feature as it will increase the video production and consumption. Make sure your app allows for a professional touch. The users feel more empowered this way
- Social sharing of the videos created is a must. Viva Video, the app that we talked about earlier, allows users to create videos and upload it to their social networking sites on-the-go. They can add filters, themes and even images to their videos. This keeps the user engaged, and allows them to acquire and retain users
- Your app should allow users to edit their videos. That’s why you should have filters, emojis, texts, graphics etc. in the app. The users are free to create videos the way they want to, making it innovative and interactive
- Trimming features in the video apps allows you to cut down the video that you have created into the exact length that you believe will interest your user. This will even save a lot of storage space in your computer
- Allow users to add music effects of voice clips to their videos. You don’t add a lot of filters but, just the amount that is necessary to keep the user intrigued. Your modules should be engaging and not distracting or irritating
- You will keep upgrading the platform and your user should know about the new features you have included. The best way to do so would be including push notifications within your app. Every time a new feature is uploaded, your user will be notified
- While the user is clicking a picture or shooting a video, if they can edit and send it across to their friends, it will definitely keep them engaged. This is another feature that you ought to include in your mobile app
- Users should be allowed to change the playback speed of the videos they have created. This editing option is a lot of fun
- Mixing videos is again a lot of fun and keeps the user engaged. Your app should allow mixing and creating of new videos with ease for the users
- Once the video is created, the user may want to monetize from the video. Your subscription plans should include marketing and promotional activities, which the user can avail to promote the videos
These are some of the must-have features for a video editing mobile app. You should ideally list out all the features that you want as part of the mobile app, before starting with the development or releasing it to the market.