How would you feel if you could shop online the same way you would offline, inside a store? It would be interesting! Imagine, being able to check how that jacket you just liked, would look on you. That is the kind of technology we are talking about with Augmented Reality.
With increase in the mobile consumers, and improved marketing strategies, there is the strong trend of Augmented Reality waiting to acquire and retain your best customers online. This boost in the technology has initiated the development for AR-based apps. With ARKit and other tools and platforms ready to help you with the development, AR is definitely key to boosting the ecommerce industry.
How exactly would AR enhance shopping experiences? By making sure, you no longer need to depend on your imagination to buy a product. You try it, and you buy it. If you don’t like the product that is available off-the-shelf, you customize it to meet your unique needs. Once you are ready with the customized product, you try it again. The end goal is to get a product that fits your needs, and looks good on you. Offline, you would be able to do it by trying them on physically. Here, you would try them on virtually. So much for convenience and comfort!
Some real-world examples of AR in ecommerce
- Furnishing Industry: IKEA has used AR to help the customers intending to buy furniture for their home space easy and convenient. The AR app the DIY furniture company has developed allows the user to interact with the products the same way they would in real world. Nothing is left to imagination! They can try the furniture in tiny spaces, see how the colours fits the wall colours etc. how? They will need to scan the empty area of their how where they intend to place the furniture. Place the product on the scanned floor, and improve your buying decision.
- Fashion Industry: Trying on clothes before you can buy; something the offline world provides has entered the online segment too. So, Banana Flame took up this challenge and added a virtual fitting room to their AR application. They can adjust the dress position, change sizes, colours etc. to check what fits you best. You can even share the pictures with your friends before you make the purchase. This AR app allowed the company to increase their revenue by 182%.
- AR for Retail: Amazon is the practical example of how retail has been benefited by the arrival of AR. The company has accommodated the AR view of quite a few products. You can check multiple views of the product, see how it will look from the side, and check the product completely before you make the purchase. This AR integration has increased customer satisfaction for the company.
- AR for B2C: The AR box picker allows the customer to choose the packaging and the best fit box for their products. In this way, you can ensure a small product is not packed into a huge box and vice versa. This saves a whole lot on the packaging costs.
Benefits of AR in eCommerce
So, why is the ecommerce industry focused on getting in AR to boost value of their products?
- Information about the product and the benefits of the product have more value when you get to see them in reality. You won’t need to talk about them with content. You just need to show the goods, how they look, and make the user try it on virtually for increased conversions
- Real estate commerce can showcase their products i.e. the lands and the apartments virtually. You can take the customers on a tour and make them see the space clearly. No longer will the customer need to move out of their home to see the land or the new apartments they wish to rent
- The exchange or return of the product adds to the business cost. If you want to avoid it, integrating AR would help. The customer would know what they are engaging in, and would not return it
Both iOS and Android have come up with their versions of the tool needed to develop the AR app. Developers are busy working into these models and trying to create innovative and value addition products for the customers.
If you want to give your ecommerce customers the value of try before you buy, within the comforts of their home, it is time to adopt AR technology. Connect with Seashore Partners for a suitable mobile app solution derived, based on your needs and goals.